Emuladores de Ajedrez de MESS

Otras participaciones no clasificadas

Moderador: Luis a

Mart
novato
novato

Re: Emuladores de Ajedrez de MESS

Mensaje por Mart » 06 Feb 2019 13:25

Thank you so much CBF for your truly amazing work on this and Emu.
The winboard option is a very pleasant easy to use interface.
My fist ever chess computer was the Applied Concepts Morphy Encore and although not such a strong opponent relatively speaking it has a lot of fond memories and sentimental value of days now long gone so a couple of games against the prodigy destiny engine has been very enjoyable!!

I may have asked you and or Berger in the past about previous versions of Mame / Mess so forgive me if I have but is there a way this version of Mess-Chess will work with Bergers Solus Chess Board as the input source?
Thank you again. Mart.

CBF
Veterano
Veterano

Mensaje por CBF » 06 Feb 2019 14:07

Mart escribió:
06 Feb 2019 13:25
I may have asked you and or Berger in the past about previous versions of Mame / Mess so forgive me if I have but is there a way this version of Mess-Chess will work with Bergers Solus Chess Board as the input source?
Thank you again. Mart.
Hi Mart,

in principle this new MESS-Chess requires an UCI/WB compatible chess GUI. If such a GUI supports
playing with an external board, than it's possible to use it also for MESS-Chess.
Most chess GUIs (e.g. Arena) support standard boards like EGT-Board or SmartBoard, but I don't know
if this is also true for the SolusBoard (or if the SolusBard is compatible to any of them) -
maybe Berger can answer this question.

Regards,
CBF

berger
Moderador del foro
Moderador del foro
Contactar:

Mensaje por berger » 06 Feb 2019 21:45

CBF escribió:
06 Feb 2019 14:07
Most chess GUIs (e.g. Arena) support standard boards like EGT-Board or SmartBoard, but I don't know
if this is also true for the SolusBoard (or if the SolusBard is compatible to any of them) -
maybe Berger can answer this question.
Yes, SolusChess can work with any chess interface which support the input of the move via keyboard, such as Arena Chess GUI, Fritz, etc.

Regards,
Berger
Moderador del foro

Mart
novato
novato

Mensaje por Mart » 08 Feb 2019 00:37

CBF said. "in principle this new MESS-Chess requires an UCI/WB compatible chess GUI. If such a GUI supports
playing with an external board, than it's possible to use it also for MESS-Chess.
maybe Berger can answer this question."

Berger said. "Yes, SolusChess can work with any chess interface which support the input of the move via keyboard, such as Arena Chess GUI, Fritz, etc."

Hi CBF and Berger.
I can confirm that by following CBF installation instructions in the Arena35 folder and Bergers solus board instructions you can play inputting the moves with the pieces on the solus chessboard against all of the mess 0.25 engines simply by choosing the load engine option from within Arena once everything is installed correctly.
With Arena started and the solus board plugged in when you choose load engine they all appear in a drop down list and you just pick the one you want, the engine will load and display which one it is and the engine board graphics will display itself over the top of the Arena board, to remove it so you can see the Arena board and pieces you must only click within the Arena board area and it minimizes the mess engine board to the task bar, if you touch the mess engine board itself in any way it will not accept and input moves from the solus board.
After loading a new engine for the first time you may have to choose new game both in Arena and on the solus board.
Many thanks to you both for all your efforts.
Regards. Mart.

berger
Moderador del foro
Moderador del foro
Contactar:

Mensaje por berger » 08 Feb 2019 09:03

Hello,

That's great! :)

To avoid inaccuracies, it is recommended that "Only evaluate complete moves" option is enabled.

Regards,
Berger
Adjuntos
arena_config.jpg
arena_config.jpg (30.79 KiB) Visto 1185 veces
Moderador del foro

Mart
novato
novato

Mensaje por Mart » 08 Feb 2019 11:49

Hello Berger.
Yes indeed exactly as you say from within Arena 3.5 - Options - Appearance - Chessboard.
I could not get it to work in Arena 1.1 as I could not find the above settings in that GUI.
The CBF Winboard version also works but you have to type in the engine of choice in the command line under engine management, CBF explains how to do this in the read me file using montreux as the example.
Thank you again.

tibono
Veterano
Veterano

Mensaje por tibono » 10 Feb 2019 14:46

Hi CBF, hello all,

focusing back on the CB-EMU package, two suggestions if I may:

- pgn gamelog: last move should be followed by a space and a star ( * meaning 'pending result') for best compliance with various GUIs.

- emulated computers without GUI border additional buttons (pieces, start pos, turn board, clr board): restoring expected position can be tricky after a false mouse move, putting back captured pieces after take-back as well (despite possible as explained in Info_xx.txt). Idea: use mouse right-click to drop a piece on a square without updating the internal board; each right-click selecting next possible state, rotating pieces & colors (including empty). Could be a helpful, simple & common standard way to adjust the displayed board whatever the emulated chess computer.

kind regards, thanks CBF for your great work & for sharing it!
Tibono

jfppal
Senior
Senior

Mensaje por jfppal » 10 Feb 2019 19:02

Berger, CBF, Luis Ángel... y a todos los que habéis intervenido en este proyecto...
Estoy alucinando -literalmente- con la posibilidad de uso de las roms de nuestras queridísimas "oldies" en Arena, a través de mess.
No tengo palabras.

¡¡¡INFINITAS GRACIAS!!!
¡¡¡THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Juan Fco.

berger
Moderador del foro
Moderador del foro
Contactar:

Mensaje por berger » 10 Feb 2019 19:26

¿Impresionante, verdad? :D

Saludos,
Berger
Moderador del foro

CBF
Veterano
Veterano

Mensaje por CBF » 10 Feb 2019 23:09

Hi Tibono,
tibono escribió:
10 Feb 2019 14:46
focusing back on the CB-EMU package, two suggestions if I may:

- pgn gamelog: last move should be followed by a space and a star ( * meaning 'pending result') for best compliance with various GUIs.
Sorry, but I'm not keen on changing all my sources and recompiling them again just for adding such an useless '*' at the end of the movelist - this '*' gives no additional information at all and I'm sure no chess GUI needs this for correctly reading a PGN file. Or do you know any GUI which has problems with such a missing '*'?
- emulated computers without GUI border additional buttons (pieces, start pos, turn board, clr board): restoring expected position can be tricky after a false mouse move, putting back captured pieces after take-back as well (despite possible as explained in Info_xx.txt). Idea: use mouse right-click to drop a piece on a square without updating the internal board; each right-click selecting next possible state, rotating pieces & colors (including empty). Could be a helpful, simple & common standard way to adjust the displayed board whatever the emulated chess computer.
Well, that would be nice, but unfortunately it's impossible. All mouse handling is done by MAME/MESS (not by my own code), and there's no reaction on a mouse rightclick in MAME (at least not within an artwork when running any chess engine). So in my code I can only react to sensor (or port) events, and these only happen when you click on any board square or function key defined in the driver source and the layout file (and only for rightclicks as I already mentioned).

CBF

Responder